Patients must be made aware of the possibility of a hypersensitivity reaction to abacavir that may result in a life-threatening reaction or death and that the risk of a hypersensitivity reaction is increased if they are HLA-B*5701 positive.
The below guidelines can be used by the healthcare professional to conduct the conversation with the patient (or parents and guardians of children).
Patients should contact their physician immediately for advice on whether they should stop taking abacavir if:
- They develop a skin rash; OR
- They develop one or more symptoms from at least two of the following groups:
- Shortness of breath, sore throat or cough
- Nausea or vomiting or diarrhoea or abdominal pain
- Extreme tiredness or achiness or generally ill feeling.
Have your patients read the Warning Card?
Access the Abacavir HSR Warning Card for your location.